воскресенье, 26 февраля 2012 г.

Simon's happy to be early bird.

Crowd favourite Fabrice Santoro may have bowed out of the Dubai Tennis Championships for good, but conqueror and compatriot Gilles Simon is still going strong - and relishing an early semi-final on Friday. Santoro, known as the magician for his ability to conjure up a vast array of shots on court, saw his hopes of a dream finale at the Aviation Club ended by the impressive young Frenchman on Thursday afternoon. The 23-year-old Simon struggled to read the variations of spin from the wily 36-year-old early as he lost his serve to be 3-1 down in the first set. But he finally got to grips with his unusual opponent to record a 7-6 (7/3), 6-1 victory. It was the third match the No.3 seed has had to play in the baking afternoon sun on Centre Court, leading many to suggest he was being given a hard ride compared to other top seeds like Novak Djokovic, who have played all their games in the cooler evening conditions. But ahead of his semi-final with top seed Djokovic, which is scheduled for 2pm on Friday, Simon says he is more than happy to be the early riser. "Really I don't care (that the other players have played at night) because it has meant all of my opponents are more tired than me. It is hot but I am used to it," Simon said. "I'm happy to play in the afternoon because, you may use more energy, but then you get more rest. "Some of the matches have not been finishing until after 11pm (Djokovic's match against Jan Hernych didn't finish until after midnight on Wednesday). By that time I am having lots of rest in my room. "I'm looking forward to the semi-final, I will give my all." Simon could have been saying different after Santoro had him bamboozled with his shot variety, ranging from sliced two-handed backhands to volleyed lobs. But despite seeing his serve broken twice in the first set, Simon stuck to his task to take a first-set tie-break. From then there was only going to be one winner and Simon raced through the second set. It may have been a losing ending for 36-year-old Santoro, but the 2002 Dubai champion had noregrets. Dubai fans will no longer see him, while he will be gone from the tennis radar when he hangs up his racquet for good in October. But there is only one thing on his mind come eight months time. "Dubai is a special place to me and I have been very lucky to be able to travel and see new places. [But] I will go home to my country, to my home and to my bed," said Santoro. Simon will now take on Djokovic in the first semi-final today (2pm) after the Serbian world No.3 got the better of rising star Marian Cilic 6-3, 6-4. And Djokovic is hoping the vociferous support from his Serbian fans on Centre Court can help him into the final. "Thanks for the support. When I play in Dubai it always feels like I am at home. Please come back tomorrow." In the other semi-final (7pm), Spanish No,4 seed David Ferrer, who beat Igor Andreeev 7-5, 6-1, will face Richard Gasquet.

2009 Al Sidra Media LLC

Provided by Syndigate.info an Albawaba.com company

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий